19) I was influenced by childhood experiences



Wikipedia
A calm and kind teacher
Mrs. Browslowski, my third grade teacher, had us read silently at our seats. She walked around the room and when she came to my desk brought her face close to mine and asked how I was doing. I was embarrassed because I saw words on the page but they did not register. There was feeling of failure, and that I let my teacher down in not being able to remember what I was reading. What made it worse was that everyone in the room seemed to understand what they were reading. My voice quivered as I told her that I saw the words but that they did not have meaning. She said in her soothing voice that I should “allow the words to make a picture in my mind.” I struggled with this at first but found that her advice worked and in time reading was simple. That reassuring comment set off a process in my brain that changed things. Mrs. Browslowski was a catalyst to a very important learning phase of my life. In the following years I would check out unabridged classics and read them: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Moby-Dick, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe, and more. I found that the images in my mind were vivid and reading was engaging. The more I read the better I could see the images. Mrs. Browslowski's gentle approach and wisdom were a catalyst to an activity that would pay dividends for my education and my brain. She was such a calm and kind person, loved being a teacher, and loved her students. I liked the way she would spend time with me and help with learning. It made me feel warm and accepted. The teacher the next semester told us that Mrs. Browslowski wept when she talked about having to turn our class over to her.

It was a turn-on
When I was seven years old my dad purchased a used Lionel train set. It was somewhat elaborate but he felt that the $50 was worth it for his children. The huge board and all the components were dazzling. That was a huge sum for a family that had a modest income but dad wanted the best for his children. The gentleman that sold it helped us set it up in our smallest bedroom. It was an amazing technology for a child and I played with it for hours. I could take it apart and reassemble it and learned about basic principles of electricity. I read books about trains and their history and studied the black and white pictures in the middle section over and over. It was a turn-on. I loved the smell of the many components: the trains, the smoke that emanated from the locomotive, the electrical fumes when the tracks sparked, the fake vegetation, miniature houses, and the wood platform that held the whole assembly together. I loved touching the parts and even getting an electrical shock from time to time. I played around with it for hours and was motivated to learn more by reading and manipulating the many items. I was in control of the technology. It was a perfect gift and I frequented the Hobby Horse store at the Capital Court Shopping Center to see their new set ups and talk with the owner. I wish I had saved up more money to embellish this treasure in the back bedroom of my house.

Anger & calm
I played trumpet in the Junior High School Band at John Marshall Junior Senior High School. Every month or so Mr. Yindra would have sessions for each section to ascertain the order of proficiency so that he could have the first, second, and third string players in each section. My cousin Larry played the accordion but saw how I liked the trumpet, so took it up himself and was in the same band. Mr. Yindra had all the trumpet players come after school for the seating audition and play a part from a Sousa march. Though I started playing the trumpet a year earlier I thought my rendition went quite well. Based on observations of other trumpeters over the semester I felt I was number one and looked forward to besting everyone to retain first chair. As we left the room Mr. Yindra announced the order for the trumpet section and picked Larry first and me second. I am confident that I played those measures better than him, looked at Yindra with disdain as I walked out of the room stunned. I had a job at the shopping center a couple blocks from school and walked over with anguish. When I was alone in the basement stock rooms the whole thing came to a boil and even shook my fists. It was unfair! In the time I left that band room until I got to the stock rooms at Capital Court the anger simmered. I could feel it. I could not believe the injustice, the humiliation, and perplexing concept that I lost my first chair position, and then to my own cousin of all people. After the adrenaline rush I settled down a bit and finished my work, went home, ate, and did my homework. My parents helped because they saw the big picture and made me realize that Larry was my cousin. They said I should practice more to improve and be prepared for the next tryout and not worry about such a minor thing. I came to my senses and then reasoned as I went to bed: 'I'll practice more and do a better job next month'. I felt a sense of calm just remembering my parents poised response to my concern. I wasn't angry but saw the big picture. I was a little humiliated at first the next time band met as I sat to the right of my dear cousin in the second chair position. However, I did not let it get the best of me and felt in control after a while. I practiced more each evening.  All that anguish was channeled into effort and I improved a lot. I won my first chair seat the next month.



Teachers that crafted their subjects well
I took drivers education one summer at Custer High School, the only place that offered it on Milwaukee's north side. My mother had me also sign up for Algebra II because that would fill out my morning schedule. I rode my bike there for six weeks. Miss Berg was the teacher. I may not have appreciated it then but down the road it was apparent that she made the content come alive, and all of us became proficient in that subject. Each step in the process with the functions and logarithms was delivered to perfection. She planned each class so that we could practice the new problems. There are building block processes in mathematics instruction and what Miss Berg did was represent those sequential topics well and made sure we were competent in the skills. Everything fell in place and by the end of that six-week session I was very competent in many algebraic concepts and trigonometry.  What is peculiar about this is that I did not excel in math during the seventh and eighth grades but started to be more proficient in geometry with Mrs. Reinhardt at Marshall. Having teachers that crafted their subjects well made a difference in my academic career. Their explanations on the board and the follow up worksheets developed my understanding fully. They were professional in every sense. I loved doing the homework because it was similar to the class presentation and the challenging problems were fun to do, also. It made me a more confident and motivated student overall. I appreciate my mom's coordinating that class with the phenomenal Miss Berg because I ended up taking Advanced Placement Calculus as a senior and getting college credit. I was one out of 30 that took that class out of 650 students in that graduating class.

We encouraged each other
Mrs. Nevers, my senior English teacher at John Marshall had us select a play that we read during the term and form groups of four. We were to do a critical reading from that drama before the entire class the following week. Our group met at Mark Ivy's house and spent hours rehearsing the passage from The Death of a Salesman. I was Willy Loman. His parents supplied food and the whole experience was among the best in my time at Marshall. We were serious in anticipation of getting in front of our peers in this unusual way, though none of us had theatrical experience. It was novel because we never worked in a group format in our years at Marshall but enjoyed the time together outside of the school in the last segment of our six year tenure at Marshall – two girls and two boys. We laughed as we clumsily read the verses and tried to be dramatic. We felt awkward but didn't mind taking the risk to do it well. We practiced until it was flawless. We encouraged each other, critiquing and praising throughout. I felt good about our friendship and camaraderie – perhaps one of the most memorable learning times in high school. It was inspiring to perform for our classmates the next week and gave us confidence to get in front of an audience and talk. I wish the teachers at Marshall had done more collaborative activities.